Copyright © 2017 Federation of Students ~ Your Student Union.
Students' Council is comprised of representatives from each Faculty and College at the University of Waterloo. A majority of Students' Council representatives are elected to, and take office at the same time as the Executive (May 1 of each year).
Students' Council upholds the goals of the Federation of Students (Feds) under its Charter and bylaws, and establishes the policies of the corporation.
It provides a representative forum for student input into Feds' activities, appoints Commissioners and designates the Committees of Students' Council. It also administers and oversees the budgeting of membership fees. Committees of Students' Council deal with other areas including administration of clubs, funding for activities and projects, budgeting, education policy (local, provincial, federal), elections, referenda and more.
The Executives are ex-officio voting members of Students' Council.
Students' Council oversees the Executives in the performance of their jobs in areas where Students' Council has oversight responsibilities. Any councillor may request to add items for consideration at Council in accordance with all relevant Feds' bylaws, policies and procedures.
Non-voting members of Students' Council include: the Speaker, the Secretary, and Chairs of Committees of Council who are not already a member of the Council, the Presidents of the recognized student societies, the Presidents of all Federated and Affiliated Colleges and Residence Councils, the President of the University, and all past presidents of the Federation of Students.
If you would like to receive regular updates on student council affairs, sign up for the mailing list External Link.
The Students' Council of the Corporation shall be composed of the President; Vice-President, Operations and Finance; Vice-President, Education; and Vice-President, Internal; all ex-officio and a number of elected members, all of whom shall have voting rights.
In addition, the following members of the Students' Council shall be members of the Students' Council without voting rights:
- Presidents of Societies which are recognized as Constituency, Federated and Affiliated College or University Councils or their representatives, unless elected members;
- President of the University or his/her representative;
- Chairpersons of Committees of Council who are not members of Council;
- Federation of Students Commissioners
- Federation of Students Services Coordinators
- Past Presidents of the Corporation, unless an elected member; and
- Such employees as determined by the Board of Directors.
Terms of Membership
A majority of members of Students' Council are elected to, and take office at the same time as our President and Vice-Presidents (which is May 1 of each year). Where a constituency has a number of students registered in the co-op stream that is greater than the number of students registered in the regular stream, half of the seats in the constituency (rounding down) are held over for election in the Spring term, before May 30th.
Students' Council elections shall be held in conjunction with the election for the President; Vice-President, Operations and Finance; Vice-President, Education; and Vice-President, Internal; of the Corporation, in accordance with the appropriate bylaws, procedures and policies of the Corporation.
In the event that a position on Students' Council is or becomes vacant before November 1, a byelection may be held in the constituency to which the vacancy relates.
Speaker of Council
- Elizabeth O'Sullivan: email@example.com
- Seneca Jackson Velling: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tristan Potter: email@example.com
- Nickta Jowhari: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrew Mohan: email@example.com
- Jennifer Guillen: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Antonio Clarke: email@example.com
- Muhammad Subham Altaf: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Small: email@example.com
- Alexander Eyre: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harsh Mistry: email@example.com
- Tristan Potter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wendy Xu: email@example.com
- Cameron Mills: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elizabeth O’Sullivan: email@example.com
- Seneca Jackson Velling: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benjamin Easton
- Abigail Simpson email@example.com
St. Jerome's Councillors
- Lauren Pazzano firstname.lastname@example.org
Hagop Terzian - email@example.com
How to Get Involved
If you are interested in applying for a vacant position to council please read the Student Student Council Procedures (PDF) for general information.
Council meetings are governed by Robert's Rules to ensure meetings are held in an orderly fashion. Robert's Rules is essentially a guide of the rules, ethics, and customs that are followed during the meeting. Details on the Robert's Rules can be found on the General Meeting Rules page.
Meeting Location: Student Life Centre Multi-Purpose Room
Time: 12:30 pm
Meeting Agenda & Minutes
There are many ways to keep up-to-date with the latest Council meeting minutes and agenda.
Download and view past Students' Council meeting agendas and minutes.
If you are interested in agendas and minutes for council meetings that are not listed, please contact the Research and Policy Officer.
|2015 Dec Agenda (PDF)||2015 Dec Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Nov Agenda||2015 Nov Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Oct Agenda (PDF)||2015 Oct Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Sep Agenda (PDF)||2015 Sep Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Aug Agenda||2015 Aug Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Jul Agenda (PDF)||2015 Jul Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Jun Agenda (PDF)||2015 Jun Minutes|
|2015 Jan Agenda||2015 Jan Minutes (PDF)|
|2015 Jan Agenda (PDF)||2015 Jan Minutes (PDF)|