Copyright © 2018 Federation of Students ~ Your Student Union.
The Women's Centre aims to provide a female-positive and supportive environment on campus for women and trans* folks. Run entirely by dedicated student volunteers, it holds workshops, film screenings, and guest lectures. The centre provides students with resources on issues ranging from women's health to sexual violence. It has an extensive library of over 900 books that cover a variety of topics including plays, poetry, queer theory, indigenous, philosophy/religion/spirituality and employment/education/economy! Subscriptions to magazines such as Bitch and Herizons are available. Make sure to ask a volunteer to sign a book out for you!
We pride ourselves on inclusivity; everyone is welcome at the Women's Centre!
Make a Difference
Are you passionate about gender and feminist issues? Enjoy working with a team to plan events and helping others? Apply to volunteer with The Women's Centre!
Are you passionate about gender and feminist issues? Enjoy working with a team to plan events and helping others? Apply to volunteer with The Women's Centre! Applications will be available on Leads External Link.
Another way to get involved is to submit to our annual March publication, Voices. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to submit artistic pieces.
Also, subscribe to the mailing list External Link to get updated information!
Meetings & Events
Check the events calendar, or The Women’s Centre Facebook Page External Link for upcoming events.
The following is a list of useful websites and resources. Put your mouse over each link for a description (if it is available).
- The Glow Centre for Sexual & Gender Diversity
- The Waterloo Public Interest Research Group (WPIRG)
- Women's Studies Program
- Women In Mathematics
- Women In Engineering
- uWaterloo Health Services
- uWaterloo Counselling Services
- On-Campus Police Services
- Conflict Management & Human Rights Office (CMAHRO)
Waterloo Region Community
- Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region
- Planned Parenthood Waterloo Region
- Women’s Crisis Services
- YWCA Kitchener-Waterloo
- KW Counselling Services
Canadian Universities’ Women’s Centres
- Dalhousie Women’s Centre (Dalhousie University)
- RSU Centre for Women and Trans People (Ryerson University)
- The Centre for Women and Trans People (University of Toronto)
- The Centre for Women and Trans People (York University)
- The Circle: Women’s Centre for Spirituality, Activism and the Earth (Brescia College, University of Western Ontario)
- UVSS Women’s Centre (University of Victoria)
- WLU Centre for Women and Trans People* (Wilfred Laurier University)
- Women’s Centre (University of Saskatchewan)
- Women’s Resource Centre (University of Calgary)
- Womyn’s Centre (University of Manitoba)
- Canadian Congress of Learning Opportunities for Women (CCLOW)
- Feminist Collections: A Quarterly of Women's Studies Resources
- National Council of Women in Canada
- National Organization for Women
- Status of Women Canada
- United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Women Entrepreneurs of Canada
- Women Watch
- Women's International Centre
- YWCA of Canada
Activism & Issues
- Amnesty International - Women's Rights
- Human Rights Watch – Women's Rights
- Women's Environment & Development Organization
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
Violence Against Women
History & Biographies
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- The National Women's History Project (U.S.)
- International Organization of Women Pilots
- Timeline of Women's Suffrage
- Women Nobel Prize Laureates
Women In Art & Entertainment
Women's Health & Sexuality
- Canadian Women's Health Network
- Sexuality and U
- Feminist Women's Health Centre
- Prostitutes Education Network
- Susie Bright, the sexpert
Women In Science & Technology
Women In Sport
- Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity
- International Working Group on Women and Sport
- Women's National Basketball Association
In May 2008 the Women's Centre re-launched our library, now with online access. We have over one thousand titles in the collection, and that number continues to grow. You can search through the collection online and come into the Centre during office hours to check-out the material. Currently we provide a two week loan period to anyone who wishes to check out a book. You will be asked to provide: a student ID or government issued photo ID, student number, phone number, address, faculty and email. Once you are entered into our database as a borrower please ensure that each time you check material out your information is up-to-date.
Check out our Online Library!
Women's Centre Executives
Need to contact any of the Women's Centre executives? This is where you'll find their contact information!
Contact me if you: have book/pamphlet/zine recommendations, have ideas for discussions nights or speakers, have writing or art you'd like to submit to Voices (our annual anthology).
Contact me if you: have event ideas or speaker recommendations, have event comments or criticisms, would like to partner with us on an event.
Contact me if you: have marketing ideas, love or hate our social media presence, want us to share or discuss a particular piece of media or issue using social media, want to know how to find us on twitter, tumblr or facebook.
Contact me if you: have ideas for educational events or campaigns, have workshops or seminars you would like us to offer/attend.
Contact me if you: want to be a volunteer, are a volunteer and are going to miss a shift, find the centre is missing a certain resource (condoms, lube, pregnancy tests, etc.).
Contact us if you: have any general inquiries or comments (including criticisms!), want to work on an advocacy campaign, would like to partner on an event, would like to book a peer support session, would like to know what Women's Centre is (and/or where it is), have anything else you feel like emailing us about.
|Monday||9am - 5pm|
|Tuesday||9am - 5pm|
|Wednesday||9am - 5pm|
|Thursday||9am - 5pm|
|Friday||9am - 5pm|
Peer Support Hours:
|Monday||5pm - 6pm|
|Tuesday||5pm - 6pm|
|Wednesday||5pm - 6pm|
|Thursday||5pm - 6pm|
|Friday||5pm - 6pm|