Copyright © 2019 Federation of Students ~ Your Student Union.
Feds Operational Budget
The Federation of Students Fee is a non-refundable amount that is paid by every undergraduate student. Part-time students pay 30% of the fee. At the beginning of the Executives' term of office, all of the departments plan out their spending for the year. These plans are then submitted to the Vice President, Operations and Finance.
The fee is divvied into various departments to support the organization. The following breakdown outlines the plan of spending for the year. Although the budget is an organic document by nature, it is intended to be followed.
- President (3%): The office of the President is charged with providing leadership to the Federation of Students, as well as being the primary representative of the student body with the University. This budget encompasses all of the expenses of the President, Student Government, Elections, the Research and Policy Officer, and Orientation.
- VP Operations & Finance (2%): The office of the VP Operations & Finance is charged with the oversight of the finances and operations of the Federation of Students. This portion of your fee goes to the expenses of the VPOF and this includes the Student Event Venue Subsidy.
- VP Student Life (10%): The office of the VP Student Life is charged with the administration of all of the clubs and services of the Federation of Students. Included in this are the costs to operate the Campus Life department as well as the costs for operating all of the Feds’ services and special events.
- VP Education (6%): The office of the VP Education is charged with the representation of students on academic issues at uWaterloo, and all levels of government. This budget includes all of the costs of CASA/OUSA membership, academic, municipal, provincial and federal lobbying, and the expenses of the VPED.
- Marketing (6%): The marketing department exists to serve our services as well as promote our organization as a whole. They administer our website, facilitate various marketing avenues including the poster run, produce the yearly student handbook, and generally assist student groups with their marketing needs.
- General Office (23%): The General Office department is the backbone of Feds. Encompassed in this budget are IT, Accounting, and the General Manager, who support all aspects of the organization and are instrumental in its success.
- Service Salaries (42%): These funds are used to pay the full-time staff that supports the service aspects of the organization.
- IT (8%)